History of Fort Griffin
"Shortly after the Civil War came to a close in 1867, a new US Army post, the legendary Fort Griffin , was established; following the prior fort at Camp Cooper commanded by Col. Robert E. Lee that was provided by the US Army to provide protection for the settlers from the local indain tribes. With this new army post also sprang the town of Fort Griffin, a.k.a. "Griffin Flat", or sometimes referred to as "The Flat". It was considered to be one of the West's five wildest towns with streets thronging with soldiers, buffaly hunters, drovers, gamblers, saloon girls, surveyors, outlaws, clerks, merchants and ranchers. Questionable characters such as Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, Lottie Deno, Big Nose Kate, John Wesley Hardin, Hurricane Minnie and Hurricane Bill all made their way into the booming West Texas town. In 1874, the military declared martial law and ran many lawbreakers out of the area. The county was organized with Fort Grifin as the county seat. Leaders soon decided that the new town of Albany, just 15 miles south of Fort Griffin, was a better choice and Albany was established as the new county seat for Shackelford County. With the millions of buffalo gone and the Texas Central Railroad making its way into Albany in 1881, Fort Griffin became nothing more than a ghost town; leaving behind memories, as well as, old stone structures and buildings that are still there today."